The S-word Sisterhood

everything you wanted to say or do but never had the guts to. come join the s-word sisterhood and get to share your secrets with RUBY: a vivaciously SEXUAL 22 year old. REN: a 30 year old, free spirited SENSUAL mystery

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Romantic Movie Quotes

REN speaks:

ALL women are suckers for them. You know, THE line in a movie that makes you go weak in the knees, THE line that makes you go awwwww…, THE line that makes you yearn for a guy to come and sweep you off your feet, with exactly the right thing to say.



I was no exception. (although, it fucking annoys me when he lifts lines off wholesale)
I loved these movies and but it‘s funny how, when I actually land up on the receiving end of such lines, I go like.. “erm... o...k...”
I guess I’ll appreciate it more when I actually like the guy.

Anyhoo, here are some movies that come to mind:

Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Starring Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant.

Edward Ferrars:
My heart is, and always will be, yours.


REN: uh-huh..

Notting Hill (1999)
Starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant

Anna Scott:
After all... I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.


REN: uh-huh...

Jerry Maguire (1996)
Starring Tom Cruise and Renee Zellwegar

Jerry:
You... complete me.


REN: I thought it was one of the most romantic scenes then. Dave, an old housemate of mine, was even more affected by that scene than me.
But when I watched it again, (probably 7 years later) I developed a totally different impression. MAN, THAT LINE SUCKED!!! What? You mean without me, you have no way of functioning as a whole person? You pathetic soul.. Look me up when you’re more sure of yourself.

However... The line “you had me at hello” remains incredibly hot.

Indecent Proposal (1993)
Starring Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore

David:
Did I ever tell you I love you?

Diana:
No.

David:
I do.

Diana:
Still?

David:
Always.


REN: I actually like this dialogue. This to me, translates to the simple daily “I love you”s.
Sure the whole actions-speak-louder-than-words theory is valid, but if you know that a little verbal expression makes your partner (and you) feel good, what IS stopping you? Food for thought.
So I won’t take away the underlying importance of this re-assurance, because it does make a difference.

But if I had to pick one romantic speech from Hollywood… off the top of my head… it would have to be the one uttered by Jack Nicholson.

No No, it’s not “You make me want to be a better man.”
Granted that was grand, but ironically, it was the one below that still rings in my mind.
It’s real, it’s unpretentious. And despite the arrogant and self-absorbed undertone, I found it to be one of the highest forms of flattery.

As Good As It Gets (1997)
Starring Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt

Melvin Udall:
I might be the only person on the face of the earth that knows you're the greatest woman on earth. I might be the only one who appreciates how amazing you are in every single thing that you do, and how you are with Spencer, "Spence," and in every single thought that you have, and how you say what you mean, and how you almost always mean something that's all about being straight and good. I think most people miss that about you, and I watch them, wondering how they can watch you bring their food, and clear their tables and never get that they just met the greatest woman alive. And the fact that I get it makes me feel good, about me.

REN: Marry me, Melvin.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home